Chevy Chase Beach Cabins...
3710 S. Discovery Rd.
Port Townsend, WA 98368
Hours: (see website)
The main Italianate home was built in the 1880s by John Turkey. He, along with his wife Linnie Chase, opened their home as a vacation retreat named Saint's Rest in 1889. Several cabins were built on the farm to provide added lodging. The business was modernized in 1913 by Mary Chase and renamed it Chevy Chase. A swimming pool, tennis court, and golf course were added after the Second World War by newspaper publisher Philip Bailey. The inn closed in 1963 and some of the cabins were rented out by various descendants to paying guests. It became Chevy Chase beach Cabins in 2003 when Barbara Bailey, along with her brother Thatcher and his partner Phil Kovacevich, took over ownership.
Mary Chase has been witnessed on numerous occasions on the property. At the end of the beach trail on Turkey's Landing, six thousand gold sovereigns are rumored to have been buried in 1862. It has yet to be discovered.